IBS College Scholarship
The Iowa Barbecue Society (IBS) is pleased to sponsor a college scholarship program. These funds can be used for any 2 or 4-year institutions.
The 2021 IBS Scholarship program is open to graduating High School seniors and returning College students who meet the following criteria set by the Board of Directors of the IBS:
- A parent must be a member in good standing of IBS, (or) the student must be member in good standing of IBS
- The student must have carried a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) in the last school year.
- The student can show evidence of their good character by being involved in public service or extra-curricular activities.
There will be 1 (one) $600.00 scholarship available for the 2022/2023 academic year.
Scholarship(s) may only be used to support undergraduate post-secondary education.
Applications must be received by 11:59 pm on December 31, 2021. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Students interested in applying for the IBS Scholarship must complete the attached IBS Scholarship Form that includes: 1) Student contact information; 2) IBS Membership information; 3) One essay question; 4) Transcript; and 5) Two letters of recommendation. Each student is asked to submit their responses (up to 500 words) to the following statement:
- Prepare a typed 500-word essay outlining your career goals and future endeavors. The essay should focus on how these goals and career objective might pertain to or benefit the barbecue industry, and/or the meat science industry.
The entire application must be completed in full, in order to be considered for the scholarship award. Please email the entire application to:
- Email Subject Line: IBS Scholarship Application (Recipients Name)
Letters of Recommendation
In order for your application to be considered complete, we require two letters of recommendation. Each letter must be signed by the person submitting the recommendation. Letters should be directly addressed to IBS Scholarship Committee.
One letter may be from teacher or coach, employer, religious leader, volunteer supervisor, or other individual (who is not a family member or relative) that can attest to your character and community contributions. This letter MUST indicate what that person's relationship is to you (supervisor, teacher, clergy).
Please give the following email address to your letter writers and ask that they email their letter of recommendation no later than December 31, 2021.
Email Subject Line: IBS Letters of Recommendation for (Recipients Name)
Please note that the IBS Board of Directors will evaluate each application before any Scholarships are awarded. Extra consideration may be given to students entering agriculture or meat science programs.
All decisions are final.
The Student selected for the IBS Scholarship Award will be required to submit proof of enrollment.
The check for the IBS Scholarship will be issued at the Annual Awards Banquet held in Ames, Iowa in January 2022.